The holiday season brings us an abundance of delicious meals. While indulging in the classics is perfectly okay, sometimes mixing it up with flavors, cooking styles, and ingredients can be fun. So check out the suggestions below to bring extra nutrition and flavor to your sides!
- Make gravies, soups, or casseroles using fresh ingredients instead of canned. The most significant benefit is that you can monitor the sodium content. Plus, you can customize the flavors to your liking.
- Instead of canned cranberry sauce, albeit tasty, try a cranberry relish. Cranberries, oranges, and a bit of sugar make for a tart and tangy accouterment for your turkey. Plus, you’ll get extra fiber and antioxidants from the fresh ingredients.
- Replace water in your savory recipes with a low-sodium vegetable broth. This substitution adds flavor with less salt. Use it in place of water for rice, pasta, in your stuffing, mashed potatoes – the list goes on!
- Make a fun and festive salad! No need for a mundane garden salad – utilize the beautiful flavors of seasonal fruit like pomegranate seeds and oranges. Plus, adding oranges to your salad makes it easier for our bodies to absorb the iron from leafy greens.
- Try a new cooking technique. Instead of serving mashed potatoes, consider roasted fingerling potatoes. Deep fry your turkey? Try a brine and slow roast.
- Keep it simple! No need to stress over complicated recipes. Sometimes the best way to prepare a food item is simply roasting with a bit of salt and olive oil.
Remember, healthy and nutritious doesn’t equal boring! For more inspiration, click here.