Fall is just around the corner, which means the weather will be changing, and with changing season comes the possibility of crossing paths with germs that can get you sick. One way to combat this is to boost your immunity by eating foods full of micronutrients and macronutrients called Immune-Supporting Nutrients.
These nutrients can help keep you healthy from the inside out.
- Beta-Carotene: this is a micronutrient found in various produce. Foods like carrots, spinach, broccoli, and tomatoes contain high amounts of this nutrient.
- Vitamin C: occurs in high amounts in various fruits and vegetables. Citrus fruits, berries, melons, and bell peppers will provide you high doses of this vitamin.
- Vitamin D: is the star of fortified dairy products, fatty fish, and eggs. Some 100% juices will also have vitamin D fortified to help increase this vitamin’s intake.
- Zinc: In animal products like seafood and beef, you can also find it in some vegetarian foods like beans, nuts, or tofu.
- Probiotics: are nutrients found in cultured dairy products like yogurt or fermented foods like kimchi. These will help promote good digestion and keep the gut healthy.
- Protein: is a macronutrient in animal sources and plant sources alike; you should eat it regularly because your body can not store extra protein like it does carbohydrates and fats.
With your new knowledge, you can boost your immunity from the inside out. First, you should vary and balance your nutrient intake. Increasing intakes of vegetables and fruits, focusing on lean protein, and keeping your gut healthy will contribute to helping you fight off anything that might come your way!